A dentist is a medical professional whose primary job is to diagnose and treat oral or dental health conditions. Regular visits to dentists help you keep your teeth and gums healthy and free from risks of gum disease, cavities, and other oral problems. Oral health is essential as oral conditions, if left untreated, can begin to cause harm in other parts of your body and cause conditions such as heart attacks, heart strokes, etc.
Are dentists doctors? Yes, they are because they go through the same extensive medical training as doctors do. However, there are different types of professions in the field of dentistry.
It will help you understand which type of dentist you should consider when you need assistance. To learn more, speak to an Orange Park general dentist today.
Different areas of focus for dentists
There are many different areas of specialization that a dentist can choose to pursue, such as:
- Pedodontics: Also known as pediatric dentistry, this specialization mainly focuses on treating dental issues for children, adolescents, and teens.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontists treat misaligned teeth and incorrect bites such as overbites or underbites. They are the ones who provide braces, retainers, aligners, etc.
- Endodontics: This branch of dentistry focuses on performing root canal treatment. Although general dentists have the expertise to perform RCTs as well, sometimes, they refer their patients to endodontists if the case is complex.
- Periodontics: A periodontist’s primary focus is diagnosing and treating issues affecting the tissues around your teeth, such as gum disease.
- Prosthodontics: Prosthodontics is a specialization in the creation of natural-looking dentures, crowns, bridges, and other dental restorations.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery: Oral surgeons specialize in treating jaw diseases, injuries, and defects along with other mouth and face structures. One of the most common procedures oral surgeons perform is wisdom teeth removal.
- Cosmetic dentistry: Cosmetic dentistry mainly focuses on improving the appearance of people’s smiles. Procedures like porcelain veneers, teeth whitening, and gum contouring are cosmetic dental treatments.
- Implant dentistry: Implant dentists perform and place dental implants on patients. Dental implants are one of the most sought-after procedures for long-term teeth replacement solutions. General dentists have the expertise to place dental implants, but oral surgeons and periodontists specialize in this field, so they have more knowledge and training.
- Forensic dentistry: Forensic dentistry is a field for legal purposes. Forensic dentistry helps with identifying victims after their death. When there are human remains found by legal authorities, to determine the identity of the remains, they will call a forensic dentist to examine the victim’s teeth and jaw bones.